Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to some of the questions we are most often asked.
WHERE CAN I BUY SMALLHOLDERS INSURANCE?
WHAT GEOGRAPHICAL LIMITS APPLY?
Smallholders Insurance can be purchased for property in:
- Great Britain
- The Isle of Man
- The Channel Islands
CAN I COVER MY HOME?
FARM GATE SALES?
DO I NEED EMPLOYERS LIABILITY?
Where you employ workers you are required to have insurance unless you are exempt on the following basis
- You have a family business, which is not a limited company. All of your employees must be related to you – which includeshusbands, wives, civil partners, fathers, mothers, grandfathers, grandmothers, stepfathers, stepmothers, sons, daughters, grandchildren, stepchildren, brothers, sisters, half-brothers or half-sisters.
- You have a limited company where you are the only employee and you own 50% or more of the company’s issued share capital.
You may also need employers’ liability insurance for those carrying out work for you but are not your employees. For example, a casual worker helping with the harvest. If you are not sure please speak to us.
HOW LONG IS YOUR QUOTE VALID?
DO I HAVE TO HAVE PUBLIC & PRODUCTS LIABILITY COVER?
WHAT DOES PROPERTY & VEHICLE COVER INCLUDE?
Our property insurance offers cover for any agricultural buildings, livestock, produce, fuels and fertilizers, animal feed and machinery – it can be tailored to suit your own individual needs.
- Farm Buildings, Shelters, Stables etc
- Tools & Machinery
- Produce &Deadstock – hay, straw, feeds etc
- Boundary Walls & Hedges
- Metered water
- Public & Products Liability
WHAT CAN WE COVER?
- small farms or areas of land used for agricultural, horticultural or grazing purposes
- bare land not used for commercial purposes
- land and buildings to include retail sale of own produce
- resident’s shared upkeep of land in common ownership
- residential and commercial estate developments
- Cover includes exhibiting own livestock at shows, and educational visits where no charge is made
- There is no minimum area
WHAT ARE WE NOT ABLE TO COVER?
- Riding Schools
- Exported Products
- Livery (Renting out stables for DIY livery is acceptable)
- Farm visits if you receive payment
- Organised shoots
- Property used for any other commercial purpose
Many of these can be catered for on other types of policy. Please contact us to see how we can help.
Looking for advice
or a quote?
Call us on 0345 241 6501 9am - 5pm Mon - Fri or we can call you