Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to some of the questions we are most often asked.
WHERE CAN I BUY SMALLHOLDERS INSURANCE?
WHAT GEOGRAPHICAL LIMITS APPLY?
Smallholders Insurance can be purchased for property in:
- Great Britain
- The Isle of Man
- The Channel Islands
CAN I COVER MY HOME?
FARM GATE SALES?
DO I NEED EMPLOYERS LIABILITY?
Where you employ workers you are required to have insurance unless you are exempt on the following basis
- You have a family business, which is not a limited company. All of your employees must be related to you – which includeshusbands, wives, civil partners, fathers, mothers, grandfathers, grandmothers, stepfathers, stepmothers, sons, daughters, grandchildren, stepchildren, brothers, sisters, half-brothers or half-sisters.
- You have a limited company where you are the only employee and you own 50% or more of the company’s issued share capital.
You may also need employers’ liability insurance for those carrying out work for you but are not your employees. For example, a casual worker helping with the harvest. If you are not sure please speak to us.
HOW LONG IS YOUR QUOTE VALID?
DO I HAVE TO HAVE PUBLIC & PRODUCTS LIABILITY COVER?
WHAT DOES PROPERTY & VEHICLE COVER INCLUDE?
Our property insurance offers cover for any agricultural buildings, livestock, produce, fuels and fertilizers, animal feed and machinery – it can be tailored to suit your own individual needs.
- Farm Buildings, Shelters, Stables etc
- Tools & Machinery
- Produce &Deadstock – hay, straw, feeds etc
- Boundary Walls & Hedges
- Metered water
- Public & Products Liability
WHAT CAN WE COVER?
- small farms or areas of land used for agricultural, horticultural or grazing purposes
- bare land not used for commercial purposes
- land and buildings to include retail sale of own produce
- resident’s shared upkeep of land in common ownership
- residential and commercial estate developments
- Cover includes exhibiting own livestock at shows, and educational visits where no charge is made
- There is no minimum area
WHAT ARE WE NOT ABLE TO COVER?
- Riding Schools
- Exported Products
- Livery (Renting out stables for DIY livery is acceptable)
- Farm visits if you receive payment
- Organised shoots
- Property used for any other commercial purpose
Many of these can be catered for on other types of policy. Please contact us to see how we can help.